HISTORY and the HIGHWAY with Stan Ellsworth In a Word: THE DECLARATION – the Declaration of Independence that is!! Monday Mission # 4
Hey Moms, please check out our latest greatest video by biker/educator Stan Ellsworth and don’t forget the Questions and Answers below.
Thank you so much for your support!
We The Kids Moms
– A) Independence Hall Philadelphia, PA: “…are, and of right ought to be Free and Independent States… – Debate of the Virginia resolution – B) THE Declaration: The Committee of five – Jefferson Adams discussion – The greatest paragraph ever written: We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, —” That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, “
HISTORY and the HIGHWAY with Stan Ellsworth
In a Word: THE DECLARATION – the Declaration of Independence that is!!
Q: Who was Richard Henry Lee?
A: Richard Henry Lee was the gentleman who proclaimed, “Resolved: That these united colonies are, and of right ought to be, free and independent states absolved from all allegiance to the British crown!” during the 2nd Continental Congress on June 7th, 1776.
Q: How did the Colonists respond to this declaration?
A: The Colonists had mixed feelings. Some celebrated, some were troubled, and some thought it was treasonous.
Q: Why did the 2nd Continental Congress decide to write an official declaration of independence?
A: They wanted an official document that clearly stated before the world all the reasons we were declaring independence from Great Britain.
Q: Who did the 2nd Continental Congress choose to write this official declaration?
A: They chose a committee of five men: Rodger Sherman of Connecticut, Robert Livingston of New York, Benjamin Franklin of Pennsylvania, John Adams of Massachusetts, and Thomas Jefferson of Virginia.
Q: Which of these five men on this committee was chosen to write this official declaration of independence?
A: Thomas Jefferson.
Q: What were some of the revolutionary ideas stated in The Declaration of American Independence?
A: 1) That all men (mankind or people) are created equal.
2) That all people are “endowed” (or gifted) by their Creator with unalienable rights.
3) That life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are unalienable (or God-given) rights.
4) That the purpose of government is to secure (or protect) these rights.
5) That government gets its power from the consent (permission) of the governed (us!).
6) That when government starts taking away our rights, it is our right – the right of “We the People” — to change our form of government.
Q: After the committee of five read their final draft of The Declaration of Independence to the rest of the members of the 2nd Continental Congress, how long did they debate over some of its points and statements before they approved it?
A: Four days.
Q: When is the official date the United States of America became a free and independent nation?
A: July 4th, 1776
Lydia Nuttall Author of Forgotten American Stories: Celebrating America’s Constitution
Member of We The Kids & Fan of History and the Highway with Stan Ellsworth
Approved by WE THE KIDS TEAM
Recent Posts / Stories
WE WON AGAIN! 3rd YEAR IN A ROW!
WE THE KIDS - WON AGAIN! 3RD THE YEAR IN A ROW!
Award-Winning Entertainer of the Year! DEE ROCK “TIME FOR LIVING!”
I'm thrilled and honored to be a nominee at the 2023 Red Carpet Award Show in the Netherlands I'll be performing at the award show being held at the Van der Valk Theater in Ermelo [...]
Saint Nicholas & Origins of Secret Gift-Giving! – American Minute with Bill Federer
December 05, 2022 • Saint Nicholas & the Origins of Secret Gift-Giving! - American Minute with Bill Federer “Eighty-six years have I have served him, and he has done me no wrong. How can I [...]
WTK TEEN VIEW Be encouraged!
"WTK Teens Engaging in the Election!" Be encouraged! Youth are standing in the gap! The boys have been phone banking for Lori Mills (CA State Assembly District 42) WE THE KIDS LIBERTY PLAYERS, Lani team [...]